Built in 1983, the center was completely renovated for the community with the addition of a second wing in 1996. This recreation center is named after the late Dr. James R. Smith, who was the first black physician in Orlando to establish a maternity clinic for black women. The Smith Neighborhood Center now serves as an active neighborhood center with numerous amenities and programs for the entire community!
• Junior Counselor: (ages 14-15) This year-round volunteer program offers teens the opportunity to learn job skills by assisting recreation staff during programs and events.
• LANES: (ages 11-14) A mentorship program that will target middle school age girls providing a loving and
nurturing educational program focusing on character development, job skills and life skills. FREE
• Young Blacks In Action (Y.B.A.): (ages 4-21) Community band and dance troupe. Monday, Wednesday and Thursday, 6 – 7:30 p.m. Cost: FREE
• Smith Center Basketball Academy (S.C.B.A.): (ages 5-7) Developmental and instructional league that teaches the fundamentals and fun of basketball.
• Fall Basketball League: (grades 9-12th) Competitive high school league established to prepare schools for
• Fall Tackle Football: (ages 7-14) Click here for more information.
• Tae Kwan Do: (ages 5-10) Offered on Mondays and Wednesdays, 6-7 p.m.